How to Set Up a Video Monitor
Use this method to set up a professional monitor. You will need:
- A monitor with brightness, contrast and chroma controls, and the ability to to turn off individual colour guns.
- A pattern generator which can output a pluge pattern and colour bars with a bucket of blood.
- Before you begin, turn on and warm up the monitor for up to 30 minutes.
- Adjust the ambient lighting conditions to those you will be using the monitor in.
- Set up the monitor to display a pluge pattern from the pattern generator.
- Adjust the brightness control until the left hand vertical stripe blends into the background, but the right hand stripe is still visible.
- Adjust the contrast control until the white and grey blocks are correctly displayed.
- Change the display pattern to colour bars with a bucket of blood.
- Turn off the monitor's red and green guns.
- Adjust the chroma control until the vertical black bars blend in with the horizontal (bucket) bar.
- Turn all colour guns on, and change the pattern to pluge.
- Check that the white and grey blocks are pure (ie. no colour tint).