Adobe Creative Suite 4 (CS4)
Adobe CS4 was released on October 15th, 2008. Adobe referred to this launch as "the largest in Adobe’s history", although that's probably not how most users saw it. There are lots of nice new features but CS4 is more about consolidation, stability and enhancing the workflow. For more details see our Adobe CS4 review.
- Premiere Pro: Native support for AVCHD, RED, P2, XDCAM EX & HD; Speech Search; More dynamic workflow options with Encore & Photoshop; Batch background encoding. See review.
- Encore: Enhanced Flash output; Pop-up menu support for Blu-ray; Fire-wire monitor output.
- On Location: Mac support; New interface to fit the CS style and workflow; XMP metadata; improved shot-logging and search; Improved keyboard workflow.
- Soundbooth: Multi-track support; ASND format; enhanced CS integration; various editing improvements.
- After Effects: Photoshop 3D layer import; Mocha tracking application; Export layered project to Flash; Improved dynamic linking with Premiere Pro, After Effects & Soundbooth; Searchable timelines; XMP metadata; Cartoon effect.
- Photoshop: Content-Aware Scaling tool; 3D paint, composite, and animation tools; Enhanced motion graphics editing.
- Illustrator: Multiple art boards.
- Flash: Object-based animation; Improved 3D support; New motion editor; Bones tool (inverse kinematics); XMP metadata; Adobe AIR authoring; Full H.264 support.
- Dreamweaver: New Interface; Live View; InContext Editing.
- InDesign: New Live Preflight tool.
- Expanded version of Dynamic Link in Production Premium.
- Various online collaboration tools.